Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit

Easy application

Tax filing required

The Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they are sick or need to self-isolate due to COVID-19, or have an underlying health condition that puts them at greater risk of getting COVID-19. The CRSB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

If you are eligible for the CRSB, you can receive $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) for a 1-week period.

This benefit ended on May 7, 2022. However, you can still apply for some of the benefit periods up to May 7, 2022, if you apply by July 6, 2022.

If your situation continues, you will need to apply again. You may apply for up to a total of 6 weeks between September 27, 2020 and May 7, 2022.

To be eligible for the CRSB, you must meet all the following conditions for the 1-week period you're applying for:

You are unable to work at least 50% of your scheduled work week because you're self-isolating for one of the following reasons:

  • You are sick with COVID-19 or may have COVID-19
  • You are advised to self-isolate due to COVID-19
  • You have an underlying health condition that puts you at greater risk of getting COVID-19.

You did not apply for or receive any of the following for the same period:

  • Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
  • Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
  • Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit (CWLB)
  • Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
  • Québec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP) benefits
  • short-term disability benefits

You earned at least $5,000 in 2019, 2020, 2021, or in the 12 months before the date you apply from any of the following sources:

  • employment income (total or gross pay)
  • net self-employment income (after deducting expenses)
  • maternity and parental benefits from EI or similar QPIP benefits

You are not receiving paid leave from your employer for the same period.

You were not self-isolating or in quarantine due to international travel.

Social Insurance Number

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

The easiest way to apply will be online through CRA My Account.

When you can apply:

You may start applying on the first Monday after the 1-week period you’re applying for has ended. Applications do not renew automatically.

You must apply for each period separately. You may apply for any period you are eligible for that is open for application, including up to 60 days after the period has ended.

Last updated: January 12, 2022