One-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit

Easy application

Tax filing required

The One-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit offers a one-time payment of $500 to low-income renters. You may be eligible if your income and rent costs meet certain criteria. You do not need to be getting other housing benefits to get this one-time top-up.

To be eligible for the One-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit, you must meet all of the conditions below:

  • You were born on or before December 1, 2007.
  • Your principal residence (the place you normally live and pay rent) was in Canada on December 1, 2022.
  • You were a resident of Canada in 2022 for tax purposes.
  • You have filed your 2021 income tax return or statement of income, and if you have a spouse or common-law partner, they must have also filed their 2021 income tax return or statement of income.
  • In 2021, you had an adjusted family net income of $35,000 or less for families or $20,000 or less for individuals
  • In 2022, you paid eligible rent that was at least 30% of your 2021 adjusted family net income for any of your qualifying principal residences.

To learn more about what you can include as eligible rent, visit the website.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

You must apply by March 31, 2023 to get this benefit.

To apply for the benefit, use one of these 3 methods:

  1. Apply using your MY CRA Account

  2. Apply using the Online application form

  3. Apply by Phone:
    Before calling, have your SIN, name, date of birth, and address ready. You will also need a tax document or to be signed into CRA My Account. If you are calling on behalf of someone else, they must be present to give consent.

Phone number: 1-800-282-8079 TTY number: 1-800-665-0354

If you use an operator-assisted relay service, call: 1-800-282-8079.

Last updated: December 17, 2022