Child Care Subsidy

Easy application

Tax filing required

The Child Care Subsidy provides financial assistance to lower-income families.

This benefit can help cover the cost of daycare, family day homes and out-of-school care. This program can also help cover the cost of child care outside of the regular hours of 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. or on weekends in addition to the child care subsidy, up to an extra $100 per month per child.

To learn more about the coverage offered through the Child Care Subsidy and to get an estimate on what your coverage may be, visit Estimate Your Subsidy.

You can apply for the child care subsidy if:

  • you or your spouse/partner, or the child receiving care, are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, temporary residents with a work permit, refugee claimants or protected person claimants (individuals unable to return to their countries of origin because they fear persecution)
  • You or your spouse/partner are an Alberta resident
  • You and your spouse/partner currently:
    • are working, or looking for work.
    • are attending school.
    • have special needs, or your child has a special need.
  • Your children are 12 years of age or younger and are not yet attending Grade 7.
  • Your children have a secured spot in a licensed facility-based program with day care or out-of-school care programming, or family day home program that is overseen by a licensed agency.
  • Your total family income is less than $90,000 a year for children in kindergarten to Grade 6 enrolled in a licensed program outside of regular school hours.
  • Your total family income is less than $180,000 a year for children 0 to kindergarten age (for those children in kindergarten and also attending childcare during regular school hours). Revised on January 2022 to include families with a gross household income of up to $180,000.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Health card

For example:

  • valid health card with no photo, name and address
  • valid health card with photo, name and address
  • MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
  • Valid ambulance/dental services card
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

You can now apply online using a computer, tablet, or mobile phone through the Child Care Subsidy Application.

You can also apply through a paper application form. To apply using the paper form, download and fill out the Application for Child Care Subsidy. Please note that the paper application can take much longer to process.

What to expect after you apply

If you meet certain conditions, you will receive a conditional 2-month subsidy after submitting your application while they complete your assessment. If you do not meet the conditional acceptance requirements, you will receive the subsidy once your application is approved.

If your application is not approved, you will receive a letter stating the reasons why the subsidy application was not approved. You can request a review of a subsidy decision by submitting the Administrative Review Request form within 30 days from the date of the decision.

You will need to renew your subsidy in order to continue receiving it before it expires. You will receive a notice letting you know when it is time to renew.

For any questions about child care subsidies, contact the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 780-644-9992 or toll free at 1-877-644-9992.

Last updated: March 4, 2023