Alberta Child Health Benefit

Easy application

Tax filing required

The Alberta Child Health Benefit covers health benefits for children in low-income households.

This program provides coverage for:

  • Dental care.
  • Prescription drugs.
  • Eye glasses.
  • Essential diabetic supplies.
  • Emergency ambulance services.
  • Essential over-the-counter medication.

Please note: If you or your household members have coverage through another benefits plan, you must use that plan first. The Alberta Child Health Benefit plan may cover the remaining costs. For more information on how this works, talk to your pharmacist, dental or optical providers to learn more about how this works.

To learn more, contact a Health Benefits Contact Centre:

To be eligible for the Alberta Child Health Benefit, you and members of your family must:

  • Live in Alberta.
  • Be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status in Canada.
  • Meet the income guideline (see more here).
  • Not be receiving health benefits from other government programs (click the link above to learn more).

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Health card

For example:

  • valid health card with no photo, name and address
  • valid health card with photo, name and address
  • MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
  • Valid ambulance/dental services card
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).

Proof of birth

A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

  • Birth certificate or birth registration
  • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
  • Passport
  • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • Certificate of Indian status card
  • Provincial identity card

Note: If you are leaving the Income Support or Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) program, speak to your case worker.

Last updated: March 2, 2021