To be eligible for the Alberta Seniors Benefit you must:
- Be 65 years of age or older (benefits may start the month of your 65th birthday).
- Have lived in Alberta for at least 3 months immediately before applying.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Receive the Old Age Security pension from the Government of Canada.
- Meet the financial eligibility criteria.
If you or your spouse/partner have chosen to defer or delay receiving OAS you are not eligible for seniors financial assistance programs.
If you are a new resident of Alberta, you are eligible to receive the Alberta Seniors Benefit on either the month of you 65th birthday or the month following 3 months of permanent residency in Alberta, whichever comes later.
- valid health card with no photo, name and address
- valid health card with photo, name and address
- MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
- Valid ambulance/dental services card
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).
Proof of birth
A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:
- Birth certificate or birth registration
- Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
- Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Citizenship certificate
- Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Certificate of Indian status card
- Provincial identity card
- Step 1: Read the information booklet
- Step 2: Complete the application package
- Step 3: Include supporting documents with your application. Attach a photocopy of one of the following documents:
- Canadian birth certificate
- A valid Canadian driver’s license
- A valid Alberta identification card
- Canada Entry Documents
- Canadian Citizenship Document
- Permanent Resident Card (front and back)
- Step 4: Apply
- Submit documents online
- Fax to 780-422-5954
- Mail to:
Alberta Seniors and Housing
Seniors Financial Assistance
PO Box 3100
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W3
After you apply, Alberta Seniors and Housing will send you a letter explaining your benefit eligibility once your application is reviewed.