To be eligible for this program you must:
- Be 65 years of age of older.
- Have lived in Alberta for at least 3 months immediately before applying.
- Be a Canadian citizen, or have been admitted into Canada for permanent residence.
You should get a Seniors Financial Assistance application package in the mail six months before your 65th birthday. If you did not get this package, call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.
Please note that if you and/or your spouse/partner have chosen to defer or delay receipt of Old Age Security, you are not eligible for the following Seniors Financial Assistance programs:
- Alberta Seniors Benefit.
- Special Needs Assistance for Seniors.
- Dental and Optical Assistance for Seniors Programs.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
- valid health card with no photo, name and address
- valid health card with photo, name and address
- MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
- Valid ambulance/dental services card
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).
Proof of residency in Canada
A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:
- Driver's license
- Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
- Child Tax Benefit Statement
- Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
- Income tax assessment (most recent)
- Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
- Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
- Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
- Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
- Property tax bill
- School, college or university report card or transcript
- Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
- Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
- Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
- Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
- Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
- Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
- Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
- Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
- Valid Photo Identification
Proof of birth
A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:
- Birth certificate or birth registration
- Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
- Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Citizenship certificate
- Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Certificate of Indian status card
- Provincial identity card
- Step 1: Read the information booklet
- Step 2: Complete the application package
- Apply online
- You can also print a Seniors Financial Assistance application form
- Step 3: Apply using any one of the following means.
- Submit documents online
- Fax to 780-422-5954
- Mail to address below:
Alberta Seniors and Housing
Seniors Financial Assistance
PO Box 3100
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W3