Seniors Financial Assistance Program

Easy application

Tax filing not required

This benefit leads to others

Getting this benefit makes you able to get other related benefits, including

    The Seniors Financial Assistance program provides financial and health support to individuals over the age of 65.

    By completing the application, you will become eligible for the following benefits:

    Some programs are income-based, therefore you may not be eligible for all programs.

    To be eligible for this program you must:

    • Be 65 years of age of older.
    • Have lived in Alberta for at least 3 months immediately before applying.
    • Be a Canadian citizen, or have been admitted into Canada for permanent residence.

    You should get a Seniors Financial Assistance application package in the mail six months before your 65th birthday. If you did not get this package, call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.

    Please note that if you and/or your spouse/partner have chosen to defer or delay receipt of Old Age Security, you are not eligible for the following Seniors Financial Assistance programs:

    • Alberta Seniors Benefit.
    • Special Needs Assistance for Seniors.
    • Dental and Optical Assistance for Seniors Programs.

    Social Insurance Number

    For example:

    • confirmation of SIN letter
    • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

    Health card

    For example:

    • valid health card with no photo, name and address
    • valid health card with photo, name and address
    • MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
    • Valid ambulance/dental services card
    • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
    • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).

    Proof of residency in Canada

    A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

    • Driver's license
    • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
    • Child Tax Benefit Statement
    • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
    • Income tax assessment (most recent)
    • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
    • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
    • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
    • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
    • Property tax bill
    • School, college or university report card or transcript
    • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
    • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
    • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
    • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
    • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
    • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
    • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
    • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
    • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
    • Valid Photo Identification

    Proof of birth

    A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

    • Birth certificate or birth registration
    • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
    • Passport
    • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
    • Citizenship certificate
    • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
    • Certificate of Indian status card
    • Provincial identity card

    Last updated: October 3, 2023