You may be eligible for this benefit if all the situations below apply to you:
- you are 65 years of age or older
- you are an Alberta resident
- you are a Canadian citizen, or you have been lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence
- you meet the program’s financial eligibility criteria (in general, a single senior with a total annual income of $29,630 or less, or a senior couple with a total combined annual income of $48,120 or less, may be eligible to receive assistance)
- you have provided a Seniors Financial Assistance application
If you or your spouse, or both, have deferred receiving the Old Age Security pension, you are not eligible for Special Needs Assistance for Seniors.
Any expenses you have before your 65th birthday is not eligible for funding. Special Needs Assistance for Seniors does not help people under 65 years of age, including spouses, dependent children and grandchildren. You can find support for people under the age of 65 years on the Ministry of Community and Social Services website.
First, apply for the Seniors Financial Assistance programs if you haven’t already Seniors Financial Assistance programs | Alberta.ca.
Once you are enrolled in the Seniors Financial Assistance programs, you can submit claims for eligible expenses. You can submit your claims online, by mail or fax, and in-person.
For online claims
Make a request online: you can use your MyAlberta Digital Identity (MADI) account to provide your Special Needs Assistance for Seniors claims and review your claims history online. This is the fastest option for processing claims and gives you access to benefits without paper documents. MADI is a free and secure way to access various online government services.
Provide documents online: this online option is the easiest way to send your claims, receipts, estimates and updated information to the Special Needs Assistance for Seniors program.
For submitting claims by fax
Fax to 780-422-5954
For submitting claims by mail
Special Needs Assistance for Seniors
PO Box 3100
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W3
For more information on the Seniors Special Needs Assistance please visit.