British Columbia

Affordable Child Care Benefit

Complex application

Tax filing not required

The Affordable Child Care Benefit — which replaces the Child Care Subsidy — is a monthly payment to help eligible families with the cost of child care. Your income, family size, and type of care may determine how much support your family receives. Families need to renew their application every year.

Use the online Affordable Child Care Benefit Estimator to estimate the funding you are likely to receive.

Specific criteria are used to check if a family qualifies for the Affordable Child Care Benefit.

These criteria include: Residency and Citizenship Status, Type of Care, Reason for Child Care, Income and Application Date.

Residency and Citizenship Status

A parent or guardian must be:

  • A resident of B.C. (you must have a current B.C. address)
  • A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection

Type of Care

Most types of child care are eligible. Childcare by a family member who lives with you and licensed occasional childcare are not eligible for funding.

Reason for Child Care

Parents must provide one of the following reasons for requiring childcare:

  • Working or self-employed
  • Attending school
  • Participating in an employment program
  • Looking for work (only one parent or guardian)
  • Living with a medical condition that interferes with your ability to care for your child
  • Your child is attending licensed preschool
  • You have been referred by a Ministry of Children and Family Development or Delegated Aboriginal Agency social worker.

Application Date

Apply for funding before the end of the month in which you need childcare. For example, if you would like to receive funding for childcare starting September 1, you need to apply by September 30.

Proof of birth

A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

  • Birth certificate or birth registration
  • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
  • Passport
  • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • Certificate of Indian status card
  • Provincial identity card

Proof of legal status

A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:

  • citizenship certificate
  • confirmation document
  • record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
    • permanent resident card
    • visitor record
    • temporary resident permit
    • study permit
  • positive notice of decision
  • verification of status document
  • registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
  • passport
  • foreign passport

Proof of primary responsibility for the care and upbringing of the child

For example:

  • a letter from the day care or school authorities indicating the child’s home address and contact information on file
  • a letter from a social worker, physician, a band council, or a resettlement officer stating that they have personal knowledge that the child lived with you for the period you indicated
  • a registration form or a receipt from an activity or club the child was enrolled in for the period you indicated
  • a court order, decree, or separation agreement that explains the type of custody arrangement you have (for example, shared custody) and clearly shows the living arrangements for the child
  • any other document showing that the child lived with you for the period you indicated

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

You can apply in one of two ways:

  • Apply online at My Family Services : Submit your application all at once or save it and finish later. After you apply, you can log in to review messages about the status of your application. It takes approximately ten business days to process electronic applications.
  • Apply by mail or fax: You can also submit your application and supporting documents by mail or fax. This method can take three weeks, or longer if all supporting documents are not provided.
    • Download forms and supporting documents for the Affordable Child Care Benefit and mail to:
      Child Care Service Centre
      PO Box 9953 Stn Prov Govt
      Victoria BC V8W 9R3
      OR Fax
      Include a cover page
      1 877 544-0699

Before you start, make sure you have:

  • You have selected a childcare provider.
  • Together with your care provider, ensure that all the relevant sections of the Child Care Arrangement Form (CF2798) are fully completed and signed by both parties. You will be required to submit this form with your application.
  • Complete the Child Care Arrangement Form (CF2798) (PDF)
  • Find a childcare provider
  • You have personal information and identification for everyone on your application.

You will be asked to:

  • Provide the name, birth date and gender for you, your spouse (if applicable) and your children
  • Upload digital images of one of the following pieces of government-issued identification for each family member: Birth certificate, Canadian Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident Card, Passport, Driver's license, BC Services Card, Certificate of Indian Status

Information to support your reasons for needing childcare:

  • Working or self-employed: Your work schedule with days and hours scheduled to work
  • Looking for work: A journal of activities related to looking for a job
  • Living with a medical condition that interferes with your ability to care for your child: Medical Condition Form (CF2914) (PDF)
  • Attending school: Student Loan Notice of Assessment or school acceptance letter/registration and your school timetable with the days and hours you are scheduled to attend
  • Participating in an employment program: A copy of your registration in the employment program or Single Parent Employment Initiative action plan and your program schedule with the days and hours you are scheduled to attend

Note: A reason for care is not required if your child is attending a licensed preschool, or if you have been referred by a Ministry of Children and Family Development or Delegated Aboriginal Agency social worker.

Last updated: September 7, 2023