British Columbia

Agreement with Young Adults

Easy application

Tax filing not required

The Agreements with Young Adults (AYA) program provides up to a maximum of $1,250 per month to cover living expenses while you go to school or do job training, or attend rehabilitation, mental health, or life skills programs. These living expenses include things like food and housing for you and your children if you have any.

Through discussion with a worker, the length of your agreement will be worked out based on your needs and the program you are on. You can have more than one agreement, for a total of up to 48 months (4 years) of support.

For example, you could:

  • Attend a life-skills or rehabilitation program for six months with AYA support
  • Work for a year without an AYA
  • Then, go back to school and enter into another AYA

AYAs do not extend past the day of your 27th birthday.

To qualify for an Agreement with Young Adults, you must be between 19 and 26 years old, and on your 19th birthday, were in one of the following care arrangements:

  • The custody of a director or permanent custody of the Superintendent.
  • The guardianship of a director of adoption.
  • The guardianship of a director under the Family Relations Act.
  • A Youth Agreement.

Indigenous young adults with a plan that meets AYA criteria can ask for support from their band or tribal council - they may be able to assist with funding. If not, you can enter into an AYA if you're living on or off a reserve.

Proof of birth

A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

  • Birth certificate or birth registration
  • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
  • Passport
  • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • Certificate of Indian status card
  • Provincial identity card

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Four to six weeks before the program you're interested in begins, complete an application form (PDF). In the section "Program and Support Need" describe the program you'd like to take and what kind of financial assistance or other support you may need.

Mail or drop off your application form at a local Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) office. You can reach your local Ministry of Children and Family Development office by calling 250-387-7027 or toll-free: 1-877-387-7027.

Within two weeks, a social worker will contact you to prepare a written plan together that explains your goals and the support you need to reach them.

Last updated: March 20, 2021