British Columbia

B.C. Access Grant for Students with a Permanent Disability

Complex application

Tax filing not required

Automatic benefit

You are automatically assessed for this benefit if you have previously submitted verification of your permanent disability to StudentAid BC.

Prerequisite(s) required

To get this benefit you need to first apply for the following benefit(s) if you're eligible:

The B.C. Access Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities helps full-time students with a permanent disability cover the cost of education by replacing approximately $1,000 in B.C. student loan funding. It is a non-repayable grant of up to $1,560 per program year to reduce B.C. student loan debt for full-time students attending a designated public or private post-secondary institution.

You may be eligible if you:

  • Qualify for a federal student loan.
  • Are enrolled in a full-time program at a designated public or private post-secondary institution.
  • Have a permanent disability as defined by the Canada Student Loan program (CSLP).

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

You will be automatically assessed for the B.C. access grant if you have previously submitted verification of your permanent disability to StudentAid BC.

If you have not yet established your permanent disability with StudentAid BC, you can do so by completing the Appendix 8 form.

Last updated: April 2, 2021