British Columbia

Climate Action Tax Credit

Easy application

Tax filing required

You do not need to apply for this benefit, but you need to file your tax return to get it.

The government will use the information in your tax return to decide if you will get the benefit.

The B.C. climate action tax credit (BCCATC) helps offset the impact of the carbon taxes paid by individuals or families. The climate action tax credit payments are non-taxable meaning you don't include it as income when you file your income tax return.

If you are eligible for the climate action tax credit, you will receive the credit payment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The credit payment is combined with the federal goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit into one quarterly payment.

The payments are issued four times a year in July, October, January, and April.

You're eligible to receive the credit if you're a resident of B.C. and you:

  • Are 19 years of age or older, or
  • Have a spouse or common-law partner, or
  • Are a parent who resides with your child.

Only one person can receive the credit on behalf of the family.

You can use the CRA’s Child and Family Benefits Calculator to estimate your total benefit payment for all child and family benefits you may be eligible for, including the climate action tax credit.

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

  • For the 2014 and subsequent tax years, you don't need to apply for the B.C. climate action tax credit. When you file your income tax return, the CRA will determine your eligibility and advise you if you are eligible to receive the credit.
  • For tax years before 2014, you or your spouse or common-law partner can apply for the climate action tax credit when you file your income tax return with the CRA. On page 1 of your tax return, check the "Yes" box in the GST/HST credit application area. Include their net income, even if it is zero, and enter their social insurance number.
  • If you have a spouse or common-law partner, only one of you can receive the credit. The credit will be paid to the person whose return is assessed first. The amount of the credit will be the same regardless of which one of you receives it.
  • To receive the credit for your children under the age of 18, they must be registered for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB).
  • The CRA may need to recalculate your credit entitlement if:
    • You move
    • Your marital status changes
    • The number of children in your care changes or a credit recipient has died.
  • You must notify the CRA if any of these situations apply.
  • If you have received an overpayment, you will need to repay it. For information on how to pay a balance owing, see benefit repayments or contact the CRA at 1-800-387-1193.

Last updated: March 14, 2023