British Columbia

Fuel Tax Refund for Persons with Disabilities

Complex application

Tax filing not required

When you purchase fuel in B.C., you pay fuel tax. If you have a qualifying disability, the fuel tax refund program allows you to request a refund of the provincial motor fuel tax you paid in B.C. on fuel you used in a vehicle you own or lease.

If you qualify, you’re eligible for a fuel tax refund of up to $500 each calendar year.

You can register for the fuel tax refund program for persons with disabilities if you:

  • Are 16 years old or older,
  • Are the registered owner or lessee of a vehicle or have an ownership interest in a vehicle registered to someone else, for example, a spouse, caregiver or relative, and
  • Have at least one qualifying disability.

If your vehicle is electric, you’re not eligible for a fuel tax refund, but if you register for the program, you may be eligible for a discount on your ICBC vehicle insurance.

If you have questions about eligibility for this benefit, call toll free: 1-877-388-4440 or fax: 250-356-2195 or email:

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

Photo ID

For example:

  • driver’s license
  • passport
  • other government-issued photo ID, such as a non-driver photo ID (Saskatchewan), British Columbia Services Card, Ontario photo card, General identification card (Nunavut), Voluntary ID (PEI), etc.

To request a refund, you need to:

  1. Register for the program
  2. Receive a confirmation letter
  3. Keep your fuel receipts
  4. Apply for a refund

You can apply for a fuel tax refund for only one vehicle (the vehicle you registered with the program). It is recommended that you apply for a refund once each year as long as you’re requesting a refund for $10 or more (the minimum amount refundable).

To apply for a fuel tax refund, complete the Application for Refund of Provincial Fuel Tax for Persons with Disabilities (FIN 119) (PDF) and mail it along with your original fuel receipts.

If your spouse is eligible under your registration, they can apply for a refund by completing the Application for Refund of Provincial Fuel Tax for Spouses of Persons with Disabilities (FIN 119) (PDF) and mail it to with their original fuel receipts.

Submit application and supporting documents in any of the following ways:

  • Online at eTaxBC
  • Fax your documents to 250-356-2195
  • Email your documents to
  • Mail your documents to:
    Ministry of Finance
    PO Box 9435 Stn Prov Govt
    Victoria BC V8W 9V3

Important: You can only submit receipts for fuel that you purchased (in other words your name appears on the invoice or credit card used). Your spouse can only submit receipts for fuel that they purchased. If the fuel was purchased by someone other than you or your spouse, it cannot be claimed unless you are in a power of attorney or representation agreement situation. For more information see Who Can Claim a Refund (Notice 2014-007) (PDF).

Last updated: September 2, 2023