The Healthy Kids Program is an income-tested program. Your children are eligible for the Healthy Kids Program if:
- Your family is eligible for Medical Services Plan (MSP) supplementary benefits.
- They are under 19 years old.
Notice of Assessment
An statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.
To this benefit, you must:
- Apply for MSP supplementary benefits with Health Insurance BC (HIBC).
- File your taxes each year with Canada Revenue Agency.
- Update your MSP account if you have any changes in your family (adding or removing a spouse or child).
Health Insurance BC (HIBC) will verify your income each year to determine ongoing eligibility for supplementary benefits and the Healthy Kids Program. Your family must have an annual adjusted net income of $42,000 or less to be eligible for these benefits.
To access the Healthy Kids coverage, show your child’s CareCard or BC Services Card when you arrive at the dental, optical or audiology office. Confirm coverage before the appointment with the provider and ask if there will be any extra charges that are not covered.