British Columbia

Rebate For Accessible Home Adaptations

Complex application

Need you to file taxes and apply separately

The BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA) provides financial assistance in the form of a rebate to eligible low- and moderate-income households to complete home adaptations for continued independent living in their home.

The maximum total lifetime rebate is $17,500 per household or unit, including funding provided under the Home Adaptations for Independence program (after April 2019). Other restrictions apply to tenant and landlord applications.

To be eligible, you must be a resident of BC with limited income and assets. You or someone in your household must have a permanent disability or loss of ability. The adaptations requested must support accessibility and promote continued safe and independent living in your home.

Eligible households include homeowners and joint applications from tenants and landlords.

For Homeowners

You may be able to get the BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA) as a homeowner. To be eligible:

  • You, or a member of your household, has a disability or lasting ability loss.
  • Your home adaptation request fits and relates to the disability or ability loss. Some requests need to be supported with an assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) or a Physical Therapist (PT).
  • The homeowner(s) and the person(s) needing the adaptations must be one of the following:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Permanent resident of Canada
    • Refugee sponsored by the Government of Canada
    • People who have applied for *refugee status (*Refugees under private sponsorship do not qualify unless BC Housing accepts private sponsorship has broken down)
    • Total before-tax household income is less than 117,080.
    • Household assets are less than $100,000 (does not include equity in home being adapted).
  • The home being adapted is the primary residence of the homeowner and the person needing the adaptations.
  • The BC Assessment value of the home is below Home Value Limits. Or the home value is below the average assessed value of homes in your area.
  • The home needing adaptation qualifies for this program. Check: List of eligible and ineligible housing.

Note: Adaptations completed before getting written approval from BC Housing are not eligible.

For Landlords and Tenants

Landlords who rent to low- to moderate-income income households can submit a joint application with their tenants for rebates for modifications to the rental unit.

You may be able to get the BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA) assistance if the following are met:

  • The rental suite to be adapted is a legal, self-contained unit with a full kitchen and bathroom inside the unit.
  • The rental suite is rented to tenants who live independently, and do not need assisted living.
  • The adaptation request fits and relates to the disability or ability loss. Some requests need to be supported by an assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) or a Physical Therapist (PT).
  • A Tenancy Agreement is in place.
  • The rent is below the Rent Affordability Limits.
  • The landlord agrees to not increase the rent as a result of the adaptations. Any annual rent increases will not exceed the maximum annual rent increase allowed under the Residential Tenancy Act.
  • The tenant, or a member of their household, has a permanent disability or loss of ability.
  • The requested adaptations are eligible and reasonably related to the disability or loss of ability.
  • The tenant(s) and the person(s) requiring the adaptions must be one of the following:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Canadian permanent resident
    • Refugee sponsored by the Government of Canada
    • Individual who has applied for refugee status
  • The tenant’s total household income before taxes does not exceed $117,080.
  • The tenant’s household assets are less than $100,000.
  • The home for adaptations is an eligible residence.

Proof of legal status

A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:

  • citizenship certificate
  • confirmation document
  • record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
    • permanent resident card
    • visitor record
    • temporary resident permit
    • study permit
  • positive notice of decision
  • verification of status document
  • registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
  • passport
  • foreign passport

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

Application Procedure for Homeowners:

Complete Application Form

Important: You must use the BC RAHA Application Form. Previous HAFI application forms will not be accepted.

Application Procedure for Landlords and Renters:

Complete Application Form

Submit Application: Complete all sections of the Application Form, attach supporting documents and submit the application:

  • Online: using the BC Housing Program Upload Form
  • By mail: BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations, BC Housing, 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8
  • By fax: 604-439-8550

After you apply:

Applications are reviewed in the order they are received.

  • Once reviewed, you will receive a letter advising if your application is approved, missing information or ineligible.
  • BC Housing will confirm your eligible adaptations, the rebate amount and the terms and conditions to get the rebate and written approval for you to begin work.
  • You have 180 days to complete the work from the date of approval. If you do not complete the work in time, your rebate may be cancelled, and funds given to another household.

Last updated: April 8, 2021