British Columbia

Security Deposit Supplement

Easy application

Tax filing not required

Prerequisite(s) required

To get this benefit you need to first apply for the following benefit(s) if you're eligible:

A Security Deposit Supplement may be given to help recipients of income, hardship, and disability assistance with the cost of a security deposit to secure rental housing.

The supplement cannot be more than half of the monthly rent or housing charge.

In the case of subsidized rental housing, the monthly rent is calculated as the actual rent payable plus the monthly subsidy. (For example, if the rent amount you pay is $350, and the subsidized amount is $200; the monthly rent is $550).

Security deposits can only be issued in tenancy situations that are covered by the Residential Tenancy Act or for a housing unit owned by a cooperative association.

Note: For repayable security deposits issued after April 1, 2002, you will need to sign a Repayment Agreement/Acknowledgement of Debt (Repayable). This confirms that you will pay the government back for the deposit. Repayable security deposits must be repaid either in a single amount or through a monthly deduction from the family unit’s income, hardship, or disability assistance. Deduction starts on the second cheque issued after the security deposit is issued. The recovery amount on all outstanding deposit debts is $20 per month. You may choose to repay the deposit debt at a higher amount if you want.

Security deposit interest is not recoverable, nor is it considered income.

You may be able to get a security deposit may be provided to or for a if all of the following are true:

  • Your family unit is eligible for income assistance, hardship assistance, or disability assistance.
  • The security deposit is needed to enable the family unit to rent residential accommodation.
  • You agree in writing to repay the security deposit amount.
  • The security deposit is not more than half of 1 month’s rent for residential rental accommodation or half of the monthly housing charge for a housing unit owned by a cooperative association.

Eligibility for supplements is generally determined by meeting with staff of the Ministry Social Development and Poverty Reduction.

To get this benefit meet with your Employment and Assistance Worker (EAW) who will review your eligibility, give you the forms you need to fill out and process your request.

If you are deemed ineligible for the security deposit, your EAW will explain the reason(s) for this and clearly explain the options available, including information on the reconsideration process.

Last updated: April 7, 2021