British Columbia

Supplementary Benefits

Complex application

Need you to file taxes and apply separately

Medical Services Plan (MSP) supplementary benefits provide partial payment for certain medical services obtained in British Columbia and may provide access to other income-based programs. MSP supplementary benefits support the following services from approved providers:

  • Acupuncture.
  • Chiropractic.
  • Massage therapy.
  • Naturopathy.
  • Physical therapy.
  • Non-surgical podiatry.

Individuals who may be eligible for MSP coverage of these supplementary benefit services include:

  • Those who have applied and been deemed eligible based on their annual net income
  • Income Assistance recipients
  • Convention refugees
  • Inmates of B.C. Correctional Facilities
  • Individuals enrolled with MSP through the At Home Program
  • Residents of long-term care facilities receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
  • Individuals enroled with MSP as Mental Health Clients; and
  • First Nations individuals with valid B.C. Medical Plan coverage through the First Nations Health Authority

For these MSP beneficiaries, MSP contributes $23 per visit for a combined annual limit of 10 visits each calendar year for services from approved providers. MSP does not provide any coverage for supplementary benefits received outside of the province.

Note: Many supplementary benefits practitioners are opted-out of the MSP. This means they can charge patients more for a service than is set out in the Payment Schedule.

To be eligible for supplementary benefits, you must:

  • Be a resident of British Columbia as defined by the Medicare Protection Act.
  • Have resided in Canada as a Canadian citizen or holder of permanent resident status (landed immigrant) for at least the last 12 months immediately preceding this application.
  • Not be exempt from liability to pay income tax by reason of any other act.

Eligibility for supplementary benefits is based on your net income from last year as confirmed by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (or combined net income for you and your spouse), less deductions for:

  • Your age (and the age of your spouse).
  • Family size.
  • Disability.
  • Any income from the Universal Child Care Benefit and Registered Disability Savings Plan.

The amount left is called "adjusted net income." If it is less than $42,000, your family may qualify for supplementary benefits.

You only need to apply once if you:

  • Remain eligible for MSP coverage; and
  • File your taxes every year

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

MSP Enrolment:

  • MSP enrolment must be complete for you (and your spouse, if applicable) to qualify for supplementary benefits.
  • To complete MSP enrolment, submit the MSP Application for Enrolment form and obtain a Photo BC Services Card by visiting an Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) driver licensing office. You can book an appointment to visit an ICBC driver licensing office at a location and time that suits you. For more information, please visit

Income Verification:

  • The application process includes giving permission to CRA to release Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment information for you (and your spouse if applicable) to the Ministry of Health and/or Health Insurance BC.
  • Health Insurance BC will continue to verify your income each year and assess your eligibility automatically. To avoid losing your eligibility or having to reapply, make sure to file your taxes each year.

Application for Supplementary Benefits: You can apply online or by mail.

Apply Online:

The online application takes about 15 minutes to complete.

The data you enter will be saved locally to the computer or device you are using up until the point that you close your browser window or submit the form.

Note: you must apply using the print Application for Supplementary Benefits (HLTH 103) (PDF, 332KB) if you have a spouse who lives and earns income outside British Columbia.

Apply by Mail: You can also apply by mail using a paper application form Application for Supplementary Benefits, HLTH 103 (PDF, 332KB)

Mail the completed application form along with copies of a Notice of Assessment or Reassessment from CRA for you (and your spouse):
Health Insurance BC
Medical Services Plan
PO Box 9677 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9P7

After You Apply

  • If you qualify for supplementary benefits, you will be eligible to claim reimbursement for covered services from January 1 to December 31 of the year in which you qualify.
  • If you do not qualify, you will continue to be responsible for payment for the services.

Last updated: April 8, 2021