British Columbia

Transportation Supplement/BC Bus Pass for people receiving Disability Assistance

Easy application

Tax filing not required

Prerequisite(s) required

To get this benefit you need to first apply for the following benefit(s) if you're eligible:

A Transportation Supplement (TS) of $52 is provided to each person with the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) Designation in a family unit who is receiving disability assistance or hardship assistance. This includes individuals with the PWD designation receiving Room and Board or a Comforts Allowance.

The Transportation Supplement is also given in situations when the person with the PWD designation is no longer eligible for disability assistance.

The supplement can be used for an annual bus pass (with a value of $52) or for other transportation needs.

You can switch between the in-kind bus pass or cash payment but you will have to notify the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction before the 5th of the month. A family unit gets the full amount of transportation supplement for the month in which they are eligible.

To be eligible for the Transportation Supplement or bus pass, a person must meet the criteria for the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) designation and be designated as such by the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction.

PWD is not a permanent designation and the ministry has the authority to cancel an individual’s designation in exceptional circumstances.

A person may be designated as a PWD if they have reached 18 years of age and have a severe mental (including a mental disorder) or physical impairment that meets all of the following criteria:

  • In the opinion of a medical practitioner or nurse practitioner, the impairment is likely to continue for at least 2 years
  • In the opinion of a prescribed professional, the impairment directly and significantly restricts the person’s ability to perform daily living activities either continuously or periodically for extended periods
  • As a result of those restrictions, the person requires an assistive device, the significant help or supervision of another person, or the services of an assistance animal to perform daily living activities.

  • If you are receiving disability assistance and would like to apply for a bus pass, contact the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction at 1 866 866-0800.
  • You can also apply for the BC Bus Pass or cancel your active BC Bus Pass using your My Self Serve account.
  • At any time, you can contact the ministry to cancel your BC Bus Pass. You’ll then get $52 on your next assistance payment instead.
  • If you cancel your bus pass, you can still change your mind at a later date and ask for a new bus pass.

Last updated: March 18, 2021