Canada Child Benefit

Complex application

Need you to file taxes and apply separately

This benefit leads to others

Getting this benefit makes you able to get other related benefits, including

    The Canada Child Benefit (CCB) is a tax-free, monthly, payment made to eligible families to help with the costs of raising children under 18 years old.

    • Benefits are paid over a 12-month period from July of one year to June of the next year.
    • Your benefit payments will be recalculated every July based on information from your income tax and benefit return from the previous year.
    • The amount you can receive for the CCB depends on the number of children that live with you, the ages of your children, your adjusted family net income.

    Use the Child and family benefits calculator to see what child and family benefits you might be eligible for and how much your payments may be.

    You may be able to get this benefit if you:

    • You live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
    • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
    • You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
    • You OR your spouse or common-law partner are any of the following:
      • A Canadian citizen.
      • A permanent resident.
      • A protected person.
      • A temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month.
      • An Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act.

    Proof of primary responsibility for the care and upbringing of the child

    For example:

    • a letter from the day care or school authorities indicating the child’s home address and contact information on file
    • a letter from a social worker, physician, a band council, or a resettlement officer stating that they have personal knowledge that the child lived with you for the period you indicated
    • a registration form or a receipt from an activity or club the child was enrolled in for the period you indicated
    • a court order, decree, or separation agreement that explains the type of custody arrangement you have (for example, shared custody) and clearly shows the living arrangements for the child
    • any other document showing that the child lived with you for the period you indicated

    Social Insurance Number

    For example:

    • confirmation of SIN letter
    • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

    Photo ID

    For example:

    • driver’s license
    • passport
    • other government-issued photo ID, such as a non-driver photo ID (Saskatchewan), British Columbia Services Card, Ontario photo card, General identification card (Nunavut), Voluntary ID (PEI), etc.

    Proof of legal status

    A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:

    • citizenship certificate
    • confirmation document
    • record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
      • permanent resident card
      • visitor record
      • temporary resident permit
      • study permit
    • positive notice of decision
    • verification of status document
    • registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
    • passport
    • foreign passport

    Apply for the CCB


    • Apply as soon as:
      • Your child is born.
      • A child starts to live with you.
      • You or your spouse/common-law partner meet the eligibility conditions.
    • If you and your spouse/common-law partner were residents of Canada for any part of 2019, you must both file up-to-date tax returns before the CCB can be calculated.
      • Both of you must file your tax returns every year, even if you do not have income to report.
      • If you do not file your taxes on time, your CCB will stop in August.
    • After your application is processed, you will get a CCB notice which will tell you how much money you will get.
    • You will usually receive the CCB one month after you become eligible.
      • Generally, you will be paid on the 20th of each month.
      • You can get the benefit deposited directly into your bank account. To get help setting up direct deposit, call Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281
      • If you don't get paid on the 20th, wait five working days before calling 1-800-387-1193

    Last updated: August 21, 2021