Canada Learning Bond for 18 to 20 year olds

Easy application

Tax filing not required

The Canada Learning Bond is money that the Government of Canada adds to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) to help pay the costs of your full- or part-time studies after high school.

You could get up to $2,000 into an RESP. This money can help cover the costs of tuition, books, tools, transportation, and housing.

The amount of money you will get depends on the number of years you were eligible to get the Canada Learning Bond before you turned 15 years old. If you were eligible for the Canada Learning Bond and have not gotten it yet, the Government of Canada will deposit into an RESP:

  • $500 for the first year that you were eligible, and
  • $100 for each additional year you were eligible up to the age of 15

You do not need to add money to an RESP to receive the CLB.

You might be eligible for the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), if:

  • you were born on, or after, January 1, 2004
  • you were, and still are, a resident of Canada
  • your parent, or former primary caregiver, applied for the Canada Child Benefit and had a low income for at least one year before you turned 15. For more information on the adjusted family income eligibility, please visit the eligibility chart on the benefit page

The amount you can get depends on the:

If you were a child in care that qualified for the children’s special allowance, you are eligible to receive the Canada Learning Bond.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

If you are eligible, you can apply for the CLB once you turn 18. You have up until the day before you turn 21 to open a registered education savings plan (RESP) and apply for the Canada Learning Bond.

You do not need to have a bank account to open an RESP, and you do not need to put money into the RESP to get the CLB.

To request the CLB, you will need:

  1. a valid social insurance number (SIN):
  2. a registered education savings plan (RESP):
    • if you do not have a registered education savings plan (RESP), contact an RESP promoter that offers the CLB
    • some promoters offer options to open an RESP online, over the phone, or in-person
    • the RESP promoter will help you complete the application form for the CLB. They will submit your application to the Government of Canada on your behalf

Once the Government of Canada deposits the CLB into your RESP, you can use the money to help pay for your education expenses right away, or keep your RESP open to save the money for your future education. You do not need to decide right away. An RESP can stay open for 35 years.

Last updated: March 4, 2022