Canada Workers Benefit

Easy application

Tax filing required

The Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) is a refundable tax credit to help eligible working low-income individuals and families who are already working and encourage low-income residents to enter the workforce.

The CWB consists of two parts:

  • A basic amount
  • A disability supplement.

You can also receive up to 50% of your CWB as an advance payment.

You may be able to get this benefit if you:

  • Are 19 years of age or older on December 31st OR you lived with your spouse, common-law partner, or child.
  • Are a resident of Canada for income tax purposes throughout the year.
  • Are employed or self-employed.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Apply for CWB:

  • Prepare your income tax and benefit return.
  • Complete Schedule 6, Canada Workers Benefit to calculate the basic CWB.
  • Enter the CWB amount calculated on Schedule 6 line 42, on line 453 of your return.
  • If you are filing by paper - include your completed Schedule 6 with your return.

To request advance payment:


  • CRA must receive Form RC201 no later than August 31st or it will not be processed.
  • Once CRA receives your form, it should be processed within 11 weeks.
  • You must apply every year that you want advance payments.

Last updated: August 17, 2021