If you are the survivor or orphan child of a Canadian Armed Forces Veteran you should apply for Canadian Forces Income Support if:
- You have a low income,
- You were receiving Earnings Loss Benefit for Survivors but it has ended (entitlement ends on what would have been deceased Veteran’s 65th birthday), or the deceased Veteran was receiving CFIS at time of his or her non-service related death, and
- You meet the Canadian residency requirements.
As an orphan you must be either:
- Under age 18, or
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 and still attending school, or you are incapacitated.
"Incapacitated" refers to a person who is prevented, by physical or developmental disability, from earning a livelihood.
If the Veteran's death was not service-related, survivors must apply within 6 months of the last day of the month in which the veteran dies. There is no time limit if the Veteran’s death was related to service. This time limitation does not apply to orphan children.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can submit your application for this benefit online. If you aren't registered, you can register now.
Mail or in person: