Climate Action Incentive

Easy application

Tax filing required

You do not need to apply for this benefit, but you need to file your tax return to get it.

The government will use the information in your tax return to decide if you will get the benefit.

The Climate Action Incentive (CAI) payment has a basic amount and a 10% supplement for residents of small and rural communities. This payment may lower your amount payable or increase your refund when you file your income tax and benefit return.

The maximum you can get depends on your province of residence as well as your personal situation.

Only one person per family (you or your spouse or common-law partner) can get the CAI payment.

To get the payment, you must be a resident of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario on the first day of the payment month and the last day of the previous month.

You must also be 19 years of age or older, or if you are younger than 19, you must either have a spouse or a common-law partner, are a parent and you live with your child.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

To claim the CAI payment, you must file your taxes, unless you are new to Canada (meaning that this is your first tax year in Canada).

If you file your taxes, the Canada Revenue Agency will automatically determine your eligibility for this benefit and send you payments if you qualify.

If you live in a small or rural community, you can claim the 10% supplement by completing Schedule 14 on your tax return or by mailing it separately to your tax centre.

Find out if you qualify for the supplement for residents of small and rural communities.

If this is your first tax year in Canada, follow these steps to apply:

  1. Complete one of the following forms:
    • If you have children: fill out and sign Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application to apply for all child and family benefits, including the GST/HST credit. You must also complete form RC66SCH, Status in Canada and Income Information for the Canada Child Benefits Application to capture your citizenship and residency information, along with your Statement of Income.
    • If you do not have children: fill out and sign Form RC151, GST/HST and CAI Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada.
  2. Mail the completed form to your tax centre.

You can see how much you can get from the CAI depending on your situation by visiting the Climate Action Incentive Payment page.

Last updated: May 7, 2022