You may qualify for repayment assistance if:
- you live in Canada or:
- are a reservist or spouse of a reservist deployed abroad, or
- are on an international internship for a year or less
- your loans are in repayment, that is at least 6 months have passed since you graduated or left school, and
- you are up-to-date on your loan payments
If your family income is less than a certain amount per month, you may not need to make payments on your student loans for a period of 6 months.
If you earn more than the income thresholds shown below, you may still qualify for reduced monthly payments.
You can apply for repayment assistance as soon as you start to repay your student loans and anytime while in repayment.
To apply for repayment assistance:
- apply online through the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC), or
- fill out the Repayment Assistance Plan Application (PDF, 172 KB)
If you qualify, you have to reapply every 6 months to continue on the plan.
To discuss your options:
Contact the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC). Borrowers from Manitoba and Prince Edward Island will also need to contact their province.