To be eligible, you must have a “severe permanent disability,” which is a functional limitation caused by a physical or mental impairment that:
- Prevents you from performing the daily activities necessary to participate in “substantially gainful employment.”
- Will stay with you for life.
“Substantially gainful employment” is work that pays more than what you can get as a disability pension under the Canada Pension Plan. The disability pension amount is adjusted each year; it is $16,652.00 per year for 2020.
For Ontario student loans to be considered for cancellation, you must reside in Canada.
Eligibility is assessed by medical adjudicators once your application is received.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
To apply, you must:
- Fill out the Severe and Permanent Disability Benefit application form (PDF)
- Get your licensed physician or nurse practice to complete, sign, and date the SPDB Medical Report (PDF), and include relevant medical documentation.
- Find and include Proof of Income in your application package.
- Mail the completed, signed, and dated application (all original documents) to the mailing address provided.