Veteran Affairs Canada - Disability Benefits

Complex application

Tax filing not required

The Veterans Disability Benefit is a tax-free, financial payment to support your well-being.

The amount you receive depends on the degree to which your condition is related to your service (entitlement) and the severity of your condition, including its impact on your quality of life (assessment).

To qualify for a disability benefit you must be one of the following:

  • Canadian Armed Forces member or Veteran,
  • A current or former member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP),
  • Second World War or Korean War Veteran (includes Merchant Navy), or
  • Certain civilians who served in the Second World War.

You should apply for a disability benefit if you:

  1. Have a diagnosed medical condition or disability; and
  2. Are able to show that the condition is related to your service.

If you qualify for a disability benefit, you will receive either a:

  1. Pain and suffering compensation – a life-time monthly benefit or lump sum benefit – the choice is yours.


  1. Disability pension - a life-time monthly benefit. If you have any dependents (e.g. spouse, common-law partner and/or children), your monthly amount will be increased.

View the disability pension rates.

If you have a pending application for a disability benefit and were expecting to receive a disability award, you do not need to re-apply. Your application for a disability benefit will now be processed as Pain and Suffering Compensation.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Photo ID

For example:

  • driver’s license
  • passport
  • other government-issued photo ID, such as a non-driver photo ID (Saskatchewan), British Columbia Services Card, Ontario photo card, General identification card (Nunavut), Voluntary ID (PEI), etc.

Apply online:

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can submit your application for this benefit online. If you aren't registered, you can register now.

Mail or in person:

Last updated: December 21, 2021