To receive EIA in the General Assistance Category:
- You must live in Manitoba.
- You must be between 18 and 65 years of age.
- You do not have a disability and:
- You are a single person without dependents/children.
- You are a couple without dependents/children.
- You are a two parent family.
- You are in financial need.
Definition of financial need for this program: the total cost of your or your family's monthly basic needs and shelter costs are more than your total financial resources.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
- valid health card with no photo, name and address
- valid health card with photo, name and address
- MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
- Valid ambulance/dental services card
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).
Proof of birth
A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:
- Birth certificate or birth registration
- Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
- Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Citizenship certificate
- Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Certificate of Indian status card
- Provincial identity card
Information on how and where to apply can be found on the EIA for General Assistance webpage.
Before you fill out an application for EIA benefits, you may need to complete a pre-intake orientation (PIO). At your PIO, EIA staff will tell you about the EIA Program, your rights and responsibilities while on income assistance and go over all the information and documents you need to apply for EIA and Rent Assist.
- Winnipeg: 204-948-4000
- Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-855-0511
- Manitoba Relay Service for deaf or hard of hearing clients: 1-800-855-0511