Employment and Income Assistance Program for Persons with Disabilities

Complex application

Tax filing not required

The Employment and Income Assistance Program (EIA) for persons with disabilities provides financial help to Manitobans who have no other way to support themselves or their families. This includes benefits from the Rent Assist Program that helps with housing costs. For people who can work, EIA will help them go back to work by providing support to employment.

To receive EIA in the Persons with Disabilities Category:

  • You must live in Manitoba.
  • You are 18 years of age or older.
  • You have a mental or physical disability that is likely to last more than 90 days (about 3 months) and keeps you from earning enough money to pay for your or your family’s basic needs.
  • You are in financial need.

The definition of financial need for this program is the total cost of your or your family's monthly basic needs and shelter costs are more than your total financial resources.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Health card

For example:

  • valid health card with no photo, name and address
  • valid health card with photo, name and address
  • MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
  • Valid ambulance/dental services card
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).

Proof of birth

A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

  • Birth certificate or birth registration
  • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
  • Passport
  • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • Certificate of Indian status card
  • Provincial identity card

Information on how and where to apply can be found on the EIA for Persons with Disabilities webpage.

Before you fill out an application for EIA benefits, you may need to complete a pre-intake orientation (PIO). At your PIO, EIA staff will tell you about the EIA Program, your rights, and responsibilities while on income assistance and go over all the information and documents you need to apply for EIA and Rent Assist.

Last updated: June 24, 2021