Rent Assist

Complex application

Tax filing required

Rent Assist

Rent Assist is a financial benefit for people who receive Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) and have housing costs to cover. It is also available to other low-income private renters. Rent Assist combines shelter benefits inside and outside of EIA and can help people move successfully into training and jobs.

Rent Assist is automatically provided to those who receive Employment and Income Assistance (EIA). Manitobans not receiving EIA benefits may apply for Rent Assist if:

  • You pay rent or room and board for unsubsidized housing.
  • You have an annual net household income of less than $25,600 for a single, $29,280 for a single person 55 years of age or older or a person who qualifies for the Disability Tax Credit or receive Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits, $32,960 for two persons, $42,400 for three or four persons, or $54,360 for five or more persons.
  • You have dependent children in your home and have a net annual income of less than $42,400 for two or four people, or $54,360 for five or more people.
  • You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.

Manitobans may not apply for non-EIA Rent Assist if:

  • You rent your home from Manitoba Housing.
  • You, or the unit you live in, gets any other kind of housing benefit or subsidy.
  • You live on a First Nations reserve.
  • You live in a nursing home, hospital, or residential care facility.
  • You live in student housing.
  • You are a member of a religious order, living in an accommodation that is provided to members.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

To apply for non-EIA Rent Assist, you can download a Rent Assist application form, or call Provincial Services at:

To find an office near you, go to the website.

In Winnipeg:
outside Winnipeg:

Contact details:
100 - 114 Garry Street
Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4

Phone: 204-948-7368
Toll Free: 1-877-587-6224

Last updated: June 24, 2021