Newfoundland and Labrador

Home Modification Program

Easy application

Need you to file taxes and apply separately

If your income is $46,500 or less and you need to make changes to your home to make it more accessible, the Home Modification Program (HMP) can give you a forgivable loan up to $7,500 or a repayable loan up to $10,000.

The Home Modification Program is available if:

  • You are a homeowner with low-to-moderate income and need modifications to your home.
  • Your annual income is $46,500 or less.
  • You have an Occupational Therapist report clearly showing whether modifications are non-urgent or urgent.
  • Where special circumstances exist and at the discretion of Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation (NLHC), a report prepared by a qualified medical professional other than an Occupational Therapist may be accepted.
  • Urgent modifications are needed for the person with a disability to return or remain home.

What types of repairs are eligible?

Accessibility modifications may include items such as:

  • Installation of a ramp; widened doorways/halls to increase space for wheelchair;
  • Roll/walk-in showers, bathtub grab bars; and seats.

What types of funding is available?

The Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation (NLHC) provides funding to homeowners, if you qualify, in forgivable and repayable loans.

  • Funding is for the cost of associated repairs only.
  • Forgivable loans are available for people with accessibility needs up to a maximum of $7,500.
  • Repairs you have which are higher than these levels may fall under a repayable loan of up to $10,000 ($13,000 in Labrador).

A forgivable loan means you don’t have to pay it back if you meet certain conditions. For this funding, Forgivable loans are earned by maintaining ownership and occupancy of the dwelling for five years.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

To apply online, or print an application for your region, see below:

Further Information

Inquiries can be made directly to the regional office nearest you:

Last updated: July 7, 2021