Newfoundland and Labrador

Medical Care Plan

Easy application

Tax filing not required

The Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan (MCP) can help cover the cost of doctors’ services.

The plan includes medical services in the following categories:

  • Visits to a physician’s office, hospital or beneficiary’s residence.
  • Surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, including anaesthesia.
  • Pre- and post-operative care.
  • Complete maternity care.
  • Radiology interpretive services.
  • Certain surgical-dental procedures which are medically necessary to be performed in hospital by a dentist or oral surgeon.

To be eligible for the Medical Care Plan:

  • You must be residents of the province.
  • You must be in one of the following four groups:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Permanent resident
    • International workers
    • International post-secondary students

The following persons are not eligible for MCP coverage:

  • Tourists, transients, and visitors.
  • Members of the Canadian Forces or NATO Forces.
  • Inmates of Federal prisons.
  • Persons moving temporarily to Newfoundland and Labrador to stay for less than one year.

Proof of legal status

A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:

  • citizenship certificate
  • confirmation document
  • record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
    • permanent resident card
    • visitor record
    • temporary resident permit
    • study permit
  • positive notice of decision
  • verification of status document
  • registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
  • passport
  • foreign passport

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

To apply you must complete the application for Newfoundland and Labrador Health Care Coverage (pdf).

Once you have completed the application, mail, fax, or bring it to one of the Medical Care Plan (MCP) offices, along with the appropriate identification and citizenship/immigration documents (photocopies are acceptable). The addresses for these offices are listed on the form itself.

After you are approved for the Medical Care Plan (MCP), you will receive an MCP card. You are responsible for renewing your MCP card before the expiry date listed on your current card. After you receive your new card, you may destroy and discard your old card and use the updated card immediately.

Last updated: August 24, 2023