Newfoundland and Labrador

Prenatal Infant Nutrition Supplement

Easy application

Tax filing required

The Prenatal Infant Nutrition Supplement is a monthly financial benefit for pregnant mothers living on a low income and for families with children under the age of one. It will help with the cost of extra food during pregnancy and infancy.

If you qualify, you will get $100 a month. During the month of your child’s birth, there will be an additional one-time payment of $100 per child; if you have more than one birth, you will get more than one birth benefit.

You may be able to get this benefit if all of the following apply to you:

  • You had a family net income for the previous tax year less than $25,499 or you are getting Income Support Benefits.
  • You live in Newfoundland and Labrador
  • You are pregnant or you have a child under the age of one

Proof of birth

A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

  • Birth certificate or birth registration
  • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
  • Passport
  • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • Certificate of Indian status card
  • Provincial identity card

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

If you are pregnant, contact the Coordinator at 1-800-508-4788 to apply or complete the online application PDF(118 KB). If you qualify, the benefit can be deposited into your bank account (by mail is also available).

If your child is already born, complete the Canada Child Benefit Application. The MBNS will then be included with the Newfoundland and Labrador Child Benefit and Canada Child Benefit, issued by the Canada Revenue Agency. This benefit continues until the month before your child turns one year of age.

You will need to give the following documents:

  • Verification of Social Insurance Number (applicant and spouse, if applicable)
  • Verification of Date of Birth (applicant and spouse, if applicable)
  • Verification of MCP (Medical Care Plan) (applicant)
  • A completed Request for Payment by Direct Deposit (attached)
  • Medical Note verifying your Expected Date of Delivery
  • Most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency (applicant and spouse, if applicable)
  • If you were not born in Canada, verification/proof of your Permanent Residency Status

Last updated: June 19, 2021