Newfoundland and Labrador

Provincial Home Repair Program

Easy application

Need you to file taxes and apply separately

The Provincial Home Repair Program can help you with funding to make renovations needed to your home to complete structural and related repairs. This includes improvements in basic heating, electrical and plumbing services.

If you need to make changes for accessibility reasons, please apply under the Home Modification Program (HMP).

The Provincial Home Repair Program is available if you are a homeowner with an annual household income of $32,500 or less, you need repairs to your home, and you have owned and occupied the property for a minimum of five (5) years (except in the case of the emergency Provincial Home Repair Program.


  • There is a lifetime assistance cap of $12,500.
  • An application for a second project can only be submitted after seven (7) years have passed.

What types of repairs are eligible?

This program covers repairs needed to maintain a home for continuous safe occupancy. This may include:

  • heating, electrical or plumbing systems;
  • deteriorated structures, foundations, windows, doors, roofing or siding.

What types of funding is available?

The Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation (NLHC) provides funding to homeowners, if you qualify, in forgivable and repayable loans.

  • Funding is for the cost of associated repairs only.
  • Forgivable loans are available for homeowners up to a maximum of $5,000 ($6,500 in Labrador). Forgivable means that you may not have to pay the loan back if you meet certain conditions. For this benefit, forgivable loans are earned by maintaining ownership and occupancy of the home for five years.
  • Repairs you have which are higher than these levels may fall under a repayable loan of up to $12,500 ($15,500 in Labrador).

Priority is given to first time applicants.

Emergencies are also treated as a priority.

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

If you require home repair support, please apply online or print an application for your region.

For further information about the Provincial Home Repair Program, please contact staff at the regional office nearest you:

Last updated: October 11, 2023