Students with a permanent disability are eligible for additional federal financial help for post-secondary education if your permanent disability is defined as a functional limitation:
- Caused by a physical or mental impairment;
- That restricts your ability to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a post-secondary level or the labour force; and
- That is expected to remain with you for your whole life.
You must provide supporting documents to verify your disability. Documentation is normally only required once.
Proof of legal status
A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:
- citizenship certificate
- confirmation document
- record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
- permanent resident card
- visitor record
- temporary resident permit
- study permit
- positive notice of decision
- verification of status document
- registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- foreign passport
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
To get the additional benefits for students with permanent disabilities, you must apply for StudentAidNL as a Student with a Permanent Disability (there is no separate application).
To apply for the three additional grants available for students with permanent disabilities:
1. Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PD)
- Complete the online application for StudentAidNL and indicate you are applying as a student with a permanent disability. (There is no separate application)
- Complete the Verification of Eligibility Form for Students with Permanent Disabilities. StudentAidNL only needs to approve this form once per type of disability.
- If applicable, submit proof of your learning disability in the form of a copy of your Psycho-Educational Assessment (or a comprehensive educational assessment) completed within the last 5 years or at the age of 18 or older.
2. Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE)
- Complete and submit the Application for Grants for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities. You must complete the Consent Section and have an appropriate official at your school complete the required sections.
- Provide a detailed cost estimate for all services and/or equipment requested. The cost estimate must be specific to you.
Estimates for the cost of any requested service(s) (e.g., tutors, note takers) must include the following:
- Hourly cost of each service;
- Total hours per week of each service (cannot exceed weekly in-class time);
- Total number of weeks you will be using each service;
- Which of the courses you are taking require the service; and,
- The name and contact information for the qualified person or agency providing each service.
3. Provincial Grant for High Need Students with Permanent Disabilities
You will be automatically assessed for this grant when you submit the Application for Grants for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities. Funds will be disbursed through the same method as the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE).