Northwest Territories

Income Assistance

Complex application

Tax filing not required

The Income Assistance Program provides financial assistance to Northerners to help meet basic and enhanced needs. Basic needs are food, shelter, and utilities (power, heat, fuel, water). Enhanced needs could include clothing, education, or childcare. The amount you receive is based on where you live (community, type of housing) and the size of your family.

Income Assistance is based on your financial need. You have a financial need when your basic needs are more than your income. The program looks at two kinds of income: earned and unearned. Earned Income is money you get from working like wages and salaries while unearned income is money from other places like GST and income tax refunds, Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security, Employment Insurance and Worker’s compensation.

Note that: The following benefits/income are not counted in your application:

  • Canada Child Benefit
  • Canada Pension Plan Child Disability Benefit
  • Canada Pension Plan Children’s Survivor or Orphan Benefit
  • Foster Parent payments
  • Child support (Maintenance Enforcement)
  • Registered Disability Savings Plan

Go to the Income Assistance Handbook to learn more about what is considered earned and unearned income.

To apply for Income Assistance, you must be:

  • 19 years or older
  • Northwest Territories resident

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Proof of legal status

A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:

  • citizenship certificate
  • confirmation document
  • record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
    • permanent resident card
    • visitor record
    • temporary resident permit
    • study permit
  • positive notice of decision
  • verification of status document
  • registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
  • passport
  • foreign passport

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

Proof of residency in Canada

A document that displays your name and current home address and confirms that your primary place of residence is in the province or territory that is providing the benefit. For example:

  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for social assistance or income assistance in your province or territory (for example, Disability Assistance, Hardship Assistance, Income Support, Assured Incoome, Social Solidarity, etc.)
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Provincial or Territorial Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Photo Identification

Documents that may be required:

  • Bank statements for last 31 days, for each account
  • Copy of lease agreement
  • Copy of mortgage
  • Copy of rent-to-own agreement
  • Receipts for mortgage payments
  • Receipts for rental payments
  • Proof of income received
  • ID for each child
  • Disability assessment form
  • Utility bills

To apply for Income Assistance:

  • Complete an application for income assistance and provide identification and information on your finances.
  • Make an appointment to meet a Client Services Offices at a local ECE Service Centre.
  • You can fill out the application on your own or when you first meet with a Client Services Officer.

To contact, phone: 867-767-9355.

Last updated: August 6, 2021