Northwest Territories

Student Financial Assistance

Complex application

Tax filing not required

The Student Financial Assistance (SFA) program provides financial assistance to eligible Northwest Territories (NWT) residents to assist with postsecondary education-related expenses.

The purpose of SFA is to assist with the cost of obtaining a post-secondary education, not to cover all expenses. SFA provides financial assistance through a variety of grants and loans.

The SFA also offers loan remission (forgiveness) and repayment programs for eligible students who received loans.

Depending on eligibility, Student Financial Assistance may provide post-secondary students with assistance for:

  • Basic Grant – Funding for tuition and fees, books and travel costs
  • Supplementary Grant or Remissible Loan – Monthly living allowance
  • Repayable Loan – Funding for tuition and fees, books, travel and a monthly living allowance
  • NWT Grants for Students with Permanent Disabilities
  • Course Reimbursement - Up to $880 per course

To qualify for the Student Financial Assistance (SFA):

  • You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a protected person of Canada.
  • You must be a resident of the NWT according to program criteria
  • You must study at an approved designated institution (Please refer to the Master List of Designated Educational Institutions.
  • You must be enrolled in an approved, post-secondary program or course as defined by SFA.
  • You must ensure your previous SFA student loans are up to date.
  • You must make arrangements to repay any outstanding Government of Northwest Territories (GNWT) debts; and
  • You must not be receiving student financial aid from another provincial, territorial, or federal program.

To learn more about eligibility requirements of the SFA visit the Student Financial Assistance Handbook.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

To apply for Student Financial Assistance:

  • You must complete and apply each academic year. Applications are found at Forms and Applications | Education, Culture and Employment ( or you can apply online.
  • Students applying for SFA online for the first time will need a Web Access Code (WAC).  The WAC is a unique code used to link your personal information to your MyECE account so that you can apply for SFA. You can request a Web Access Code (WAC).
  • Once submitted, SFA staff will forward your WAC to the email address provided. Upon receiving your WAC, you can log into MyECE and apply for SFA.  You will only need your WAC the first time you log into MyECE.
  • You can also visit the SFA office located in Yellowknife at the Lahm Ridge Tower – 1st floor or at your local ECE Service Centre.

Annual deadlines for SFA applications are:

  • June 30 for programs starting between August 16 to September 30,
  • October 31 for programs starting between December 1 to January 31, or
  • One month prior to the program start date for all other months.


  • You must apply for SFA each year to continue to receive funding.
  • The course reimbursement application deadline is one year from the start of your course.
  • Applicants do not have to be accepted into a program before applying for SFA.
  • Have questions about filling out the application or other forms? Call the SFA Office toll-free at 1-800-661-0793 or email

Last updated: January 28, 2024