To be considered eligible for this program:
- You must be a resident of the NWT and the victim of a serious violent crime such as sexual assault, homicide/attempted homicide, forcible confinement, or assault causing serious bodily harm.
- The crime took place in the NWT, within two months of the application date.
- You have not received funds for the same crime.
- Funds are to be spent in the NWT.
- There is an immediate need for emergency expenses.
- You are not an 'accused' in the crime
Applications are limited to emergency needs which must be addressed to protect the victim from further physical or emotional harm, including but not limited to:
- Crime scene clean-up.
- Emergency home repairs for immediate safety.
- Certain transportation costs.
- Emergency child and/or dependent care.
- Emergency accommodation and meals.
- Short-term immediate counselling.
- Emergency medical expenses.
Other expenses may be approved at the discretion of the Community Justice and Policing Division of the Department of Justice.
To apply for the Victims of Crime Emergency Fund:
- Complete the NWT Victims of Crime Emergency Fund application form.
- Submit the completed application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
NWT Victim Services Community Justice and Policing Department of Justice Government of the Northwest Territories
5th Floor, Courthouse Building 4903-49th Street
P.O. BOX 1320,
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
After your application is received, a decision will be made to either grant or deny assistance and you will be notified in writing. If your application is denied, you can request a review of the decision.
A local victim services worker, nurse, social worker, or court worker can assist you with submitting an application or requesting a review of a decision. You can also contact the VCEF program or Victim Services directly for assistance.
For more information about applying for the Victims of Crime Emergency Fund contact:
Community Justice, Department of Justice
Government of the Northwest Territories
4903 49th St,
PO Box 1320,
Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9,
Or email email@example.com
Or call 1-867-767-9261; 1-867-873-0199