The energy type must be one of the following: Oil (furnace or stove), Propane, Kerosene, Wood, Wood Pellets, Coal, Natural Gas and Electricity.
You can apply for the rebate if you pay HST on home energy costs (pdf).
You need to submit the rebate application within 24 months from the purchase date of the energy.
Rebate claims need to total $30 or more. Or they need to cover a period of 12 or more months.
A separate application is required for each property.
You need to apply within 24 months of the date you bought the energy products. Follow these three steps to apply for the HST tax rebate:
- Complete the HST tax rebate application (pdf).
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or drop them off at the Business Registration Unit or Access Nova Scotia.
Before you begin, make sure you have copies of all invoices and receipts for residential home energy purchases.
The invoices and receipts need to:
- show the supplier’s HST number, amount of HST paid, date of purchase and the type of energy purchased (for example, wood, wood pellets or propane)
- be issued in your name (invoices and receipts issued in someone else’s name will not be accepted)
It should take 4 to 6 weeks to get the rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.