Follow these three steps to apply for the HST paid in error tax refund (pdf):
- Complete the HST tax refund application form (pdf).
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Vehicle Tax Unit.
Before you start your applications, make sure you have:
- copy of the bill of sale or invoice for the vehicle, showing purchase price, HST paid, name of buyer and seller, HST number of the seller, and the make, model and year of the vehicle
- copy of Registry of Motor Vehicles receipt showing the amount of the provincial component of the HST paid
It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.