You can apply if all of the following are true:
- You are a resident of Nova Scotia.
- You are 19 years old or over, or you are 16 to 18 in certain situations.
- You need financial support to pay for your basic needs.
- You have tried to find work or another source of income unless it is not possible for you at this time.
If you are an Aboriginal person, you can apply only if you live off-Reserve. Your application process is the same as everyone else. If you live on-Reserve, you are not eligible. Contact your Band for help.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
Tell the caseworker you speak to that you want to apply for Income Assistance. They will ask you questions about your situation. Have these things with you when you make the call:
- Bank statements for your account.
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Any other information that can help the caseworker understand your situation.
Prior to your first meeting with the caseworker, please review the How to Apply for Social Assistance information page.
After your caseworker collects all the information they need, it usually takes three to seven days to find out if you are eligible for Income Assistance.