Before you start your applications, make sure you have:
- copy of receipt or invoice for the vehicle you bought, showing total purchase price, name of the seller and buyer, vehicle identification number (VIN) and the make, model and year
- copy of the Registry of Motor Vehicles receipt showing the Nova Scotia Sales Tax paid for the purchase of the car or truck
- receipt issued by Service Nova Scotia for the purchase of vehicles like trailers
Follow these three steps to apply for the Nova Scotia Sales Tax refund:
- Complete the Nova Scotia Sales Tax refund application (pdf).
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Vehicle Tax Unit.
It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.