Daycare Subsidy

Easy application

Tax filing not required

The Daycare Subsidy is available to provide financial support to low-income families who reside in Nunavut to help make childcare more affordable while they pursue education or training opportunities outside the home.

This subsidy is available to cover licensed and unlicensed childcare options that pass the standard assessment.

To receive the Daycare Subsidy:

  • You must reside in Nunavut and
  • You must be 18 years of age or older with a child(ren) under the age of 12.
  • You must be employed or enrolled in a training and/or education program.

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

Record of Employment

This is an official form, filled out by your employer, that says how long you worked and how much you earned when you worked for that employer. When you leave your job for whatever reason, your employer must give you a Record of Employment within 5 days after your last day of employment.

To apply:

  • Your community Income Assistance Worker can provide you with a Daycare Subsidy application form.
  • Forms are also available at local licensed childcare facilities.
  • The following information is required to determine program eligibility:
    • The name and age of each child needing a subsidy.
    • The number of hours of childcare required per week.
    • Proof of day care expenses (signed by the day care provider).
    • Proof of employment.
    • Proof of school or training course enrollment (signed by the program instructor).
    • Proof of family income (pay stub/ employer's statement).
    • Proof of living expenses (rent/mortgage, utility costs).
  • For more information, call your Income Assistance Regional Office:

For help applying for social assistance contact your community Income Assistance Worker.

Last updated: June 4, 2021