To receive Financial Assistance for Nunavut Students (FANS):
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- You must be a resident of Nunavut (live in Nunavut) for at least 12 months before applying for FANS.
- You must enroll in a program that is at least twelve weeks in duration at Nunavut Arctic College or another a designated post-secondary institution.
- You must be a full-time student (carry at least 60% of a full course load) as defined by your institution.
- You must be studying towards a certificate, diploma, or degree.
- You must demonstrate satisfactory progress and attendance.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
- valid health card with no photo, name and address
- valid health card with photo, name and address
- MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
- Valid ambulance/dental services card
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).
Proof of residency in Province
- lease agreement
- rent receipt
- household bill
- cable television
- driver's license
- vehicle registration or car insurance
- membership in social or professional organization
- bank information
- employment information
The process for applying and receiving FANS benefits involves the following steps:
- Submit application:
- New Students: Submit your application to FANS before the deadline.
- Continuing Students: Submit the application to continue before the deadline and make sure to include a copy of your transcript.
- Assessment: FANS will send an acknowledgement letter – this will confirm that your application has been received and request any additional documentation that is still missing from your file.
- Submit any missing information to FANS as soon as possible.
- Notification: FANS Approval letter - official notification that you have been approved to receive FANS benefits.
- Travel: You will need to call an airline and book your travel. See details in your approval package.
- Go to School: Once at school get your school admissions office to fill out your Student Enrollment Form (SEF).
- Payment: Submit your Student Enrollment Form (SEF) – this will confirm that you are at school and ready for your payments to start.
Note the following:
- You must apply to FANS as soon as you can. Application deadlines are March 1, July 15, and November 15 of every year.
- You do not need to wait until you are accepted at an institution to start your application. If you think you want to attend a college or university, send in an application by the deadline.
- Completed Student Enrolment Form (SEF) should be sent to email@example.com. If you have a loan, please submit your Student Enrolment Form (SEF) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need assistance contact the FANS office at email@example.com or call 1-877-860-0680 and ask to speak to a FANS officer.
- For more information, download the FANS Benefits Handbook.