- Any person 18 years of age and older in financial need living in Nunavut may apply for Income Assistance.
- You will be required to have a monthly financial assessment completed with an Income Assistance Worker.
- You will be required to develop a Productive Choice with your Income Assistance Worker to become more self-sufficient.
- Productive Choices may include upgrading of your schooling, training, parenting under certain circumstances, employment, community work, harvesting and/or individual mental health or alcohol and drug counseling.
- Individuals who have a disability or are over the age of 60 are exempt from engaging in a productive choice.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
- valid health card with no photo, name and address
- valid health card with photo, name and address
- MCP (Medical Care Plan) number - Valid ambulance/dental services card
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
- Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).
Proof of birth
A document with first name, last name, and date of birth.
- Birth certificate or birth registration
- Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
- Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Citizenship certificate
- Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Certificate of Indian status card
- Provincial identity card
- You must meet with an Income Assistance Worker.
- You must bring the following to your first appointment:
- Copy of all family members: birth certificate, social insurance number and health care plan number.
- Other documents.
- During your appointment, the Income Assistance Worker will discuss and investigate all available resources you may have access to before determining eligibility.
- Benefits may be provided on a case-by-case basis to those who meet various program eligibility requirements.
- For assistance and information, contact your Income Assistance Worker or your Family Services Regional Office: