Income Assistance

Complex application

Tax filing not required

The Income Assistance Program is a program of last resort intended to help Nunavut families and individuals meet their basic needs when they are unable to provide for themselves for various reasons, including disability, illness, low-income or periods of unemployment.

Before you can apply to the Income Assistance program, you must have applied to all other programs you may be entitled to like employment insurance, various pension programs, worker’s compensation, and child maintenance. You must also access all other financial resources that you may have available first, such as money in the bank and RRSPs (Registered Retirement Savings Plan).

Annual filing of your annual tax return is also required.

  • Any person 18 years of age and older in financial need living in Nunavut may apply for Income Assistance.
  • You will be required to have a monthly financial assessment completed with an Income Assistance Worker.
  • You will be required to develop a Productive Choice with your Income Assistance Worker to become more self-sufficient.
  • Productive Choices may include upgrading of your schooling, training, parenting under certain circumstances, employment, community work, harvesting and/or individual mental health or alcohol and drug counseling.
  • Individuals who have a disability or are over the age of 60 are exempt from engaging in a productive choice.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Health card

For example:

  • valid health card with no photo, name and address
  • valid health card with photo, name and address
  • MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
  • Valid ambulance/dental services card
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).

Proof of birth

A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

  • Birth certificate or birth registration
  • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
  • Passport
  • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • Certificate of Indian status card
  • Provincial identity card

To apply:

  • You must meet with an Income Assistance Worker.
  • You must bring the following to your first appointment:
    • Copy of all family members: birth certificate, social insurance number and health care plan number.
    • Other documents.
  • During your appointment, the Income Assistance Worker will discuss and investigate all available resources you may have access to before determining eligibility.
  • Benefits may be provided on a case-by-case basis to those who meet various program eligibility requirements.
  • For assistance and information, contact your Income Assistance Worker or your Family Services Regional Office:

Last updated: September 16, 2023