Nunavut Household Allowance

Easy application

Tax filing not required

The Nunavut Household Allowance (NHA) is a subsidy of $400 per month and available on a per household basis. It is available to all eligible indeterminate and term employees of the Government of Nunavut, a public agency or the Legislative Assembly, who are not already receiving a similar allowance.

The applicant must own and occupy the unit as their principal residence or pay the full rental cost of the unit in other words, an applicant must not live in any form of subsidized housing (for example, federal staff housing or public housing, regardless of the rental rate).

Note: An Indeterminate employee is a permanent government employee. A Term employee is a government employee on a limited-duration contract.

To be considered eligible for the Nunavut Household Allowance (NHA):

  • You must be an indeterminate or term employee of the Government of Nunavut or the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut.
  • You must not be receiving any form of housing subsidy, including subsidized Government of Nunavut or federal staff housing, public housing, or any other housing allowance.
  • You must own a home or rent a home at or above the rental rate threshold in Nunavut.
  • You must occupy the home or rental unit in Nunavut as your principal residence.

There may be circumstances that allow for eligibility to the program outside of the requirements set above. For clarity on eligibility, please contact the Department of Finance at

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

To apply for the Nunavut Household Allowance (NHA), complete the Nunavut Household Allowance application form.

Submit the application by mail to:
Attn: Employee Household Allowance.
Taxation Division
P.O. Box 2260
Parnaivik Building
Nunavut X0A 0H0

A Nunavut Household Allowance verification form will be sent your bank or landlord.

For more information contact the department of Finance:

Last updated: September 16, 2023