To be considered eligible for the Nunavut Household Allowance (NHA):
- You must be an indeterminate or term employee of the Government of Nunavut or the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut.
- You must not be receiving any form of housing subsidy, including subsidized Government of Nunavut or federal staff housing, public housing, or any other housing allowance.
- You must own a home or rent a home at or above the rental rate threshold in Nunavut.
- You must occupy the home or rental unit in Nunavut as your principal residence.
There may be circumstances that allow for eligibility to the program outside of the requirements set above. For clarity on eligibility, please contact the Department of Finance at HouseholdAllowance@gov.nu.ca.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
Proof of housing situation
- letter from landlord about your housing situation
- eviction notice
- disconnection notice
- police report about an incident involving your housing
- moving company quote or invoice
- list of repairs needed in home
- list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
- proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)
Proof of residency in Province
- lease agreement
- rent receipt
- household bill
- cable television
- driver's license
- vehicle registration or car insurance
- membership in social or professional organization
- bank information
- employment information
To apply for the Nunavut Household Allowance (NHA):
- Complete the Nunavut Household Allowance application form.
Submit the application by mail to:
Attn: Employee Household Allowance.
Department of Finance, Government of Nunavut
Box 1000 Stn. 360
Iqaluit Nunavut X0A 0H0
- A Nunavut Household Allowance verification form will be sent your bank or landlord.
- For more information contact the department of Finance
By Phone at 1-800-316-3324
By Fax: 867-975-5845
By E-mail: HouseholdAllowance@gov.nu.ca