To be eligible for the Senior Fuel Subsidy (SFS):
- You must permanently reside in Nunavut.
- You must be 60 years of age or older.
- You must own and live in the home for which the subsidy is being requested.*
- You must meet the allowable established income threshold.
- You must NOT be in receipt of social assistance.
- You must apply each year.
*Please note that:
- Homeowner(s) with a total net income up to and including $75,000 may be eligible for a 100% fuel subsidy.
- Homeowner(s) with a total net income greater than $75,000 and less than or equal to $100,000 may be eligible for a 50% fuel subsidy.
- Homeowner(s) with a total net income greater than $100,000 are not eligible for the fuel subsidy.
Proof of birth
A document with first name, last name, and date of birth.
- Birth certificate or birth registration
- Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
- Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Citizenship certificate
- Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Certificate of Indian status card
- Provincial identity card
Proof of housing situation
- letter from landlord about your housing situation
- eviction notice
- disconnection notice
- police report about an incident involving your housing
- moving company quote or invoice
- list of repairs needed in home
- list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
- proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
Notice of Assessment
An statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.
- Your local Income Assistance Worker will help you in the application process.
- The following documents will be required to complete the assessment:
- Completed Senior Fuel Subsidy application form;
- Senior Fuel Subsidy Statement & Authorization form;
- Birth Certificate and Social Insurance Number for all individuals named on the home ownership documents.
- Proof of home ownership (title, deed, or mortgage documents).
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment from the previous year for all individuals named on the home ownership documents.
- For help and information, contact your Income Assistance Regional Office: