Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities

Complex application

Need you to file taxes and apply separately

If you are a parent or guardian who is caring for a child with a severe disability you may be able to get financial support through the Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) Program. This program provides financial support for low-income and moderate-income families to cover some of the extra costs of caring for a child who has a severe disability.

Eligible parents and guardians can receive between $25 and $618 a month to help with disability-related costs, such as:

  • Travel expenses to doctor appointments and hospitals.
  • Special shoes/clothes.
  • Parental relief.

How much a family receives depends on:

  • The family's income.
  • The severity of the disability.
  • The difficulties the child has.
  • The extraordinary costs related to the disability.

Learn about temporary changes to Children with Special needs services due to COVID-19: COVID-19: Temporary changes to children with special needs programs | ontario.ca

You may be able to get this benefit if you are a parent or guardian of a child who:

  • Is under 18 years of age.
  • Lives in Ontario.
  • Lives at home.
  • Has a severe disability that creates extraordinary costs.
  • Canadian citizenship or Immigration status: Canadian citizen, Permanent resident, refugee status* (example: conventional refugee) * Check with ACSD on type of refugee statuses eligible.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Proof of legal status

A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:

  • citizenship certificate
  • confirmation document
  • record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
    • permanent resident card
    • visitor record
    • temporary resident permit
    • study permit
  • positive notice of decision
  • verification of status document
  • registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
  • passport
  • foreign passport

To apply: You can apply online, which gives the option to save, edit and submit your application application.

You can also complete a paper copy of the application by doing the following:

  1. Contact your local regional office and ask for an application form.
  2. Complete the application form and return it to the regional office along with any documentation asked for.
  3. A special agreements officer will review your application and will contact you if they need more information.
  4. You will receive a letter stating whether or not you qualify for a grant and, if so, how much you will receive.

Be sure to let your local ministry regional office of any changes so that they can keep your file up to date.

Also be sure to fill out one application per child.

Last updated: January 28, 2024