Low-income Energy Assistance Program

Easy application

Tax filing required

Effective February 27, 2023 – Through 2023, the OEB will provide flexibility in the eligibility criteria for LEAP. See more information here: Low-income Energy Assistance Program | Ontario Energy Board (oeb.ca).

If you’re behind on your electricity or natural gas bill and face having your service disconnected, you may qualify for emergency financial help through the Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP). There are also special customer service rules available for low-income households. You need to meet certain criteria to qualify for these programs, and must go through one of the intake agencies in Ontario listed below.

View the list of agencies that offer LEAP.

Low-income customers can get up to $500 in emergency assistance for their electricity bills ($600 if your home is heated electrically) and $500 for their natural gas bills.

Currently, the assistance is only available if you are behind on your bill – or in arrears –but does not need to be in threat of disconnection or have been disconnected. You can receive LEAP EFA more than once per year, but you cannot exceed the maximum grant amount for the year, Please note, this is a temporary change to LEAP in effect through 2023.

In order to qualify, your household income has to fall below a certain limit. The amount of income it takes to qualify depends on two factors:

  • How many people live in the house
  • Your combined household income

For example, a home with four people and an annual after-tax income of $37,000 would be eligible for a LEAP Emergency Financial Assistance (EFA) grant.

You can qualify for special rules if you are low-income like having your security deposit or reconnection fee waived.

Visit the benefit homepage to learn more about the LEAP EFA income eligibility criteria.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Step 1: Collecting your paperwork

You will likely have to meet with a representative of the social agency for an interview.

View the list of social service agencies

You will be asked to provide:

  • Identification
  • Current electricity and gas bills
  • A disconnection notice, if you have received one
  • A copy of a rental contract, lease or mortgage documents
  • Proof of household income – cheque stub, employment letter, income tax return for adult members of household
  • A copy of your most recent bank statement

Step 2: Approving your status

The agency looking at your case will decide whether or not you qualify as low-income. As part of this process, the agency will contact your electricity or natural gas provider and ask them to pause any further disconnection or collection activity on your account until a decision is made. Your utility will also be notified if your application is denied.

Last updated: March 15, 2023