To qualify for the credit, you must:
- Be 65 years old or older on the last day of the previous tax year that you're claiming the credit.
- Live in Ontario by the end of that year.
For example, to qualify for the credit when filing your tax return in 2021, you must be:
- 65 years or older on December 31st, 2020.
- a resident of Ontario on December 31, 2021.
Apply for Ontario Seniors' Public Transit Tax Credit:
- Save your receipts and proof of payments to submit your claim.
- If you need to provide a receipt and it doesn’t show your name, you’ll need to provide your receipt plus a credit card or bank statement that shows proof of payment.
- Cash fare paid in a fare box for a single ride is eligible for the tax credit only if it was used to pay for specialized transit service.
- Submit a claim when you file your personal income tax.