Eligibility for this program is based on the income and assets of the child, not the financial circumstances of the person who is looking after the child. To be eligible, you:
- Must be making reasonable efforts to seek support from the person who is legally responsible for the child.
- Must not be receiving money from a Children's Aid Society.
The child is also eligible to receive some benefits such as prescription drugs, dental and vision care.
Proof of birth
A document with first name, last name, and date of birth.
- Birth certificate or birth registration
- Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
- Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Citizenship certificate
- Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Certificate of Indian status card
- Provincial identity card
Proof of legal status
A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada
- citizenship certificate
- confirmation document
- record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
- permanent resident card
- visitor record
- temporary resident permit
- study permit
- positive notice of decision
- verification of status document
- registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- foreign passport