Prince Edward Island

Community Service Bursary

Easy application

Tax filing not required

If you are an Island student in grade 10, 11 or 12 and planning to attend any post-secondary institution, you may receive a Community Service Bursary in recognition of your volunteer work.

You can log volunteer hours from the completion of Grade 9 until June 30 of your Grade 12 year. You may place your bursary on hold for one academic year.

The Community Service Bursary has no cash value and is not transferable. It will be credited to your post-secondary account in November of the year following your high school graduation.

The maximum value of the bursary is $1,500, calculated at a rate of $10 per volunteer hour. You are required to volunteer a minimum 30 hours, up to a maximum 150 hours.  (For example, 30 hours = $300 and 150 hours = $1500).

You will be issued a T4A slip for this bursary.

You may be able to get this bursary if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You volunteer at an organization in PEI that is a not-for-profit, non-political, and registered with the Community Services program.
  • You are a PEI resident
  • Your volunteer work is not a fund-raising activity.
  • You do not displace paid employees.
  • Your work is not part of your academic studies, related to extra-curricular school activities, or sporting events, or during school hours. International Baccalaureate community service requirements do not qualify.
  • Your volunteer work offers you a new, meaningful experience, and helps you develop career and leadership skills.
  • Your sponsor organization agrees to supervise and record your volunteer hours.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

To register for the Community Service Bursary:

  1. Contact an organization from the list of organizations registered in the Community Services program. (List of Registered Organizations)
  2. Submit a completed Community Service Bursary Student Registration Form and confirm your post secondary information.
  3. Once you complete the required hours, ensure your organizations submits your hours by emailing with the Volunteer Hours Record.
  4. Once you know the post-secondary institution you will be attending, complete the Post-Secondary Information form-information#/service/GenericWebformSubmission/GenericWebformGenerateTransactionID

You will need your social insurance number and current mailing address for your T4A slip to be issued.

Your post secondary student ID # is needed to make payment to your school account.

For more information on the Community Service Bursary contact:

Student Financial Services
176 Great George St., P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE
C1A 7N8

Telephone: (902) 368-4640
Fax: (902) 368-6144

Last updated: September 10, 2022